The most exciting acne advancement is Photodynamic Therapy. We use a topical photosensitizer called Levulan (delta-aminolevulinic
acid) to enhance the sensitivity of the sebaceous glands to pulsed light. The protocol is fairly simple:
- Levulan is applied for 30 to 45 minutes
- Topical anesthetic cream is applied for 60 minutes.
- A LuxV photofacial using intense pulsed light from the StarLux System is performed taking about 20-30 minutes.
- Patients must stay away from bright light for 48 hours after treatment.
- Typically patients are usually quite red like a sunburn for 3 days which then fades and is replaced by flaking and
peeling from days 4 to 6.
Treatments are done at 2 to 4 week intervals. Two to 4 treatments comprise an initial series. Follow-up treatments
at 6 months are recommended.
Patients with severe cystic acne should consider photodynamic therapy as an alternative to Accutane. Similar to Accutane
50 - 60% of patients will see significant improvement without the side effect issues associated with Accutane. Because
the treatment disables many of the sebaceous glands, the improvement can last for many months.
A total acne treatment program is recommended combining both prescription and non-prescription skin care regimens.